Before General Anesthesia | Encino
Prepare for Intravenous (IV) Anesthesia Sedation
Follow these instructions, provided by Dr. Maranon, to prepare for your upcoming surgery with IV or general anesthesia. Call our Encino office with your questions: 818-990-5500.
- Patients must not eat or drink anything (including water) for eight (8) hours prior to the appointment.
- A responsible adult must accompany the patient to the office, remain in the office during the procedure, and drive the patient home after the procedure.
- Dr. Maranon must be aware of any medications that the patient is taking. Unless Dr. Maranon instructs you otherwise, it is important to take any routine prescription medications with a sip of water as directed by the patient’s physician. A sip of water with the medication on the morning of surgery is acceptable.
- No smoking at least 24 hours before surgery. Ideally, patients should stop smoking as soon as possible prior to the day of surgery. Smoking contributes to slow healing and complications after surgery.
- Patients should wear loose fitting clothing. Short sleeves or shirts with sleeves that can be rolled up past the elbow must be worn. Patients may want to wear a sweater or sweatshirt over that shirt. High heeled or open toed shoes must not be worn and it is best to wear comfortable low-heeled lace up shoes.
- Contact lenses, jewelry, and dentures must be removed at the time of surgery.
- Do not wear lipstick, excessive makeup, or nail polish on the day of surgery.
- Patients who use CPAP or BiPAP should bring their machines with them if their procedure is to be performed under general anesthesia or IV sedation.
- If you have an illness such as a cold, fever, sore throat, stomach or bowel upset, please notify the office: 818-990-5500. If your appointment is the next day and the office is closed, please call the office and page Dr. Maranon.