After Intravenous Sedation or General Anesthesia
Find information to use after IV sedation or general anesthesia. Instructions for paging the doctor may be found near the bottom of this page. Call our Encino office with your questions: Encino CA Oral Surgery Office Phone Number 818-990-5500.
- A responsible adult must remain with the patient until the day after surgery and the effects of anesthesia are gone.
- The patient must not drive a vehicle or operate any machinery for 24 hours following the anesthesia experience or while taking prescription strength narcotic medications.
- After getting home, patients are asked to remove any gauze that was placed over the surgical sites to control bleeding. Do not spit or rinse out.
- Post-operative nausea and vomiting are rare, but unfortunately can occur. It is important for patients to advance their diets slowly after surgery. Start with small amounts of clear liquids, jello, or Gatorade. Clear sodas, like ginger ale or 7-Up, diluted with a little bit of water are also acceptable.
- If patients do not have nausea or vomiting after 15 to 20 minutes, they may advance to full liquids like ice cream, milk shakes or lukewarm soups. Because there will usually be numbness of the lips, tongue and mouth, use caution with hot temperatures.
Should the patient have post-surgical nausea or vomiting, or any questions concerning their anesthesia, it is important to contact the office at Encino Office Phone Number 818-990-5500. If Dr. Maranon must be reached after office hours, you may contact him by paging him through the office number and then by pressing the number 4 after your message. It is important to leave your name and telephone number in your message and speak slowly.