Preparing for Surgery
Patient Instructions Before Oral Surgery
Please read the information below, provided by George A. Maranon, DDS to help you prepare for your oral surgery procedure. Call our office if you have any questions: Encino CA Oral Surgery Office Phone Number 818-990-5500.
- Medications: It is very important that Dr. Maranon is made aware of any medications that the patient is taking Unless Dr. Maranon instructs the patient otherwise, it is important that they take all routine prescription medications with a sip of water as directed by their physician. Medications or drugs that have not been prescribed by a physician or approved by Dr. Maranon must not be taken by patients before their procedure.
- Clothing: Please wear loose fitting clothing. Short sleeves or shirts with sleeves that can be rolled up past the elbow must be worn. Patients may want to wear a sweater or sweatshirt over that shirt. It is best to wear comfortable low-heeled lace up shoes. High heeled or open toed shoes must not be worn.
- Oral hygiene must be excellent prior to surgery. Therefore, way in advance of the surgery, the patient should brush, floss, and care for their teeth and gums twice a day. On the morning of surgery, brush and rinse with mouthwash or water. If you are having your procedure under intravenous sedation or general anesthesia do not drink any water.
- Smoking: If the patient is a smoker they must not smoke for at least 24 hours before surgery. Ideally, patients should not smoke for two days after surgery. The success of surgery and recovery is compromised with smoking.
- Make-up: We ask that patients not wear lipstick, makeup, or nail polish on the day of surgery.
- Breathing Assistance: Patients that use CPAP or BiPAP should bring their machines with them if their procedure is to be performed under general anesthesia or IV sedation.
- Recovery Instructions: Every patient will have different needs after their surgery. At consultation and after surgery, Dr. Maranon and surgical staff will provide patients with specific instructions about how to prepare for their recovery. It is important that patients review those instructions. If the instructions are not clear, the office staff is available to clarify the instructions.
- Recovery Supplies: After surgery, patients will be provided with all the supplies necessary to care for the surgical sites.
- In Case of Illness: After surgery, if the patient develops an illness with a cold, fever, sore throat, stomach or bowel upset, please notify the office immediately at Encino CA Oral Surgery Office Phone Number 818-990-5500. If this happens the night before surgery, please contact Dr. Maranon to inform him of the condition by calling the office telephone number and following the voice mail instructions.